Thursday, January 07, 2010

Snowed in and snowed under

The temperature is about 10 below outside, the snow in drifts over two foot deep in places, much much more up on the moors. It's called a blanket, but it isn't warm. It muffles everything, but it isn't a muffler. It cleanses everything, turns us back in on ourselves, reminds us of simpler times.

When the shops run out of bread, people remember that they can bake it themselves. When the electricity goes out, we rediscover the beauty of candlelight.

Part of me wants to be snowed in forever. With occasional parcel drops of food from passing bi-planes. I can work from home at something, anything. I'll weave baskets or make lace. Just let me lie quietly. Calmly, away from the mess that is life at the moment. It's no surprise we're all depressed. The sun on the snow made me smile. The cows running around the field to keep warm made me smile. The cats shaking their back legs as they plod through the deep snow make me smile. The rosiness of people's cheeks and childish glee in their eyes make me smile.

I hope it snows again tonight.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rabab Khan said...

Hi!

Just happened to come upon your blog. :) It has the same name as mine!

You have a wonderful blog.

Regards

Rabab

7:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well written. I enjoyed reading it :)

4:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home